If you find yourself in Lyon, you’re in LUCK. Not only is it an awesome city, but it is surrounded by the most beautiful towns that are perfect for day trips. Here are some great day trips from Lyon you can take with the best things to do PLUS distance from Lyon. Whoosh. Let’s dive in.
Best Day Trips from Lyon:
1. Annecy, France
Annecy is known as the “Venice of the Alps ” and famous for its enchanting canals and breathtaking views of the lake. A day trip to Annecy means you’ll be able to hit pause and unwind.
❤️️ Top Things to Do: Explore the Old Town, take a boat ride on Lake Annecy, visit Annecy Castle, discover Palais de l’Isle, and enjoy outdoor activities in the scenic surroundings.
How to Get to Annecy, France from Lyon:
• By Car: It’s 150 kilometers (93 miles) away and takes around 1.5 to 2 hours.
• By Train: Take a high speed train (TGV) from Lyon Part Dieu station. You’ll reach Annecy in about 2 hours.
2. Geneva, Switzerland
Next is Geneva, Switzerland – just a short train ride away from Lyon. It offers a mix of culture, history and stunning landscapes making it one of the best day trips from Lyon.
❤️️ Top Things to Do: Tour the United Nations Office, admire the Jet d’Eau, stroll through the Old Town, visit the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Museum, and indulge in Swiss chocolate.
How to Get to Geneva, Switzerland from Lyon:
• By Car: Approximately 150 kilometers (93 miles), 1.5 to 2 hours.
• By Train: Approximately 1.5 to 2 hours by high-speed train (TGV) from Lyon Part-Dieu to Geneva station.
3. Aix-les-Bains, France
Aix les Bains, France is a thermal spa town located near the beautiful Lake Bourget. This is the place for relaxation. Don’t miss out on Les Thermes Chevalley and water activities at Lake Bourget.
❤️️ Top Things to Do: Relax in Les Thermes Chevalley, enjoy Lake Bourget for water activities, try your luck at Grand Cercle Casino, explore Château de la Roche du Roi, and take in panoramic views from Mont Revard.
How to Get to Aix-les-Bains, France from Lyon:
By car: It’s 85 kilometers (around 53 miles) away and takes about 1 to 1.5 hours of driving.
• By Train: Approximately 1 hour by train from Lyon Part-Dieu to Aix-les-Bains station.
4. Vienne, France
Vienne, in France is a city rich in history and Roman heritage. The must visit attraction here is the theater where you can immerse yourself in ancient ruins situated right in the heart of the city.
❤️️ Top Things to Do: Visit the Roman Theater, explore the Temple of Augustus and Livia, admire Saint-Maurice Cathedral, discover local museums, and shop at the Sunday market.
How to Get to Vienne, France from Lyon:
• By Car: It’s a short 30 kilometer (19 mile) drive that takes approximately 30 minutes.
• By Train: Approximately 30 minutes by train from Lyon Part-Dieu to Vienne station.
5. Grenoble, France
Grenoble is a city snuggled amidst the French Alps. For all you adventure enthusiasts there this is the ultimate destination. You’ll find a ton of hiking trails and skiing opportunities making it one of the best day trips from Lyon.
My experience: I visited Grenoble and loved it. I went hiking up the Chamechaude (easily accessible by bus to hiking spot). The city is also great I liked the museum up the cable car, and the viewpoint was fabulous.
❤️️ Top Things to Do: Take the cable car to Bastille Hill for city and mountain views, explore the Musée de Grenoble, enjoy Parc Paul Mistral, go hiking in the nearby mountains, and experience the city’s café culture.
How to Get to Grenoble, France from Lyon:
• By Car: It’s 150 kilometers (93 miles) and takes around 1.5 to 2 hours.
• By Train: You can take a train from Lyon Part Dieu to Grenoble station, which usually takes around 1 to 1.5 hours.
6. Sainte-Croix-en-Jarez, France
When exploring Lyon don’t miss out on visiting Sainte Croix en Jarez, a former Carthusian monastery village. Admire the well preserved architecture and immerse yourself in the peaceful atmosphere that was once home to monks.
❤️️ Top Things to Do: Discover the tranquil Carthusian Monastery, wander through the charming village, explore the Chartreuse Mountains, and enjoy serene nature walks.
How to Get to Sainte-Croix-en-Jarez:
• By Car: It’s 60 kilometers (37 miles) away and takes about 1 to 1.5 hours by car.
• By train: there is no train service available for reaching Sainte Croix en Jarez. Its best accessed by car or bus.
7. Chamonix Mont Blanc, France
If you find yourself in Lyon and seeking an experience at higher altitudes make your way to Chamonix Mont Blanc. This is a BIG destination for hiking enthusiasts, skiing lovers, and anyone wanting to experience the alpine scenery. Don’t forget to experience the Aiguille du Midi cable car ride.
❤️️ Top Things to Do: Go hiking or skiing with breathtaking views of Mont Blanc, visit the Aiguille du Midi, and explore the town’s alpine charm
How to Get to Chamonix-Mont-Blanc, France from Lyon:
• By Car: Approximately 220 kilometers (137 miles), 2.5 to 3 hours.
• By Train: Approximately 3 to 3.5 hours by train with transfers from Lyon Part-Dieu to Chamonix station.
8: Cluny, France
Cluny is a medieval town that offers a glimpse into Frances rich historical heritage- a great day trip from Lyon. Discover the Cluny Abbey, a significant Romanesque masterpiece and walk through its charming streets.
❤️️ Top Things to Do: Visit the historic Cluny Abbey, stroll through the medieval town, explore its charming streets, and admire the local architecture and heritage.
How to Get to Cluny from Lyon:
• By Car: Approximately 100 kilometers (62 miles), 1.5 to 2 hours.
• By Train: No direct train service to Cluny; it’s best accessed by car or bus.
9: Clermont Ferrand, France
Clermont Ferrand is renowned for its history and captivating charm. Take an in outdoor adventure to the nearby Auvergne Volcanoes Regional Nature Park.
❤️️ Top Things to Do: Explore the historic city center, visit the impressive black volcanic stone cathedral, discover the Puy de Dôme volcano, sample local Auvergne cuisine, and delve into the city’s vibrant cultural scene.
How to Get to Clermont Ferrand from Lyon:
• By Car: Drive 150 kilometers (93 miles) it will take you approximately 1.5 to 2.
• By Train: Approximately 2 to 2.5 hours by train from Lyon Part-Dieu to Clermont-Ferrand station.
10: Pérouges, France
Pérouges is a preserved medieval town that will transport you back in time, with its cobblestone streets and timber framed houses.
❤️️ Top Things to Do: Step back in time while exploring the beautifully preserved medieval town, wandering its cobblestone streets, visiting local artisan shops, and enjoying traditional cuisine.
How to Get to Pérouges, France from Lyon:
• By Car: Approximately 35 kilometers (22 miles), 45 minutes to 1 hour.
• By Train: No direct train service to Pérouges. It’s best accessed by car or bus.
Found these Day Trips from Lyon helpful? Pin it now read it later
Save or Share!
Latifah is a vegan foodie who loves travelling and cooking plant-based recipes. She loves sharing her favorite travel spots and adding a sprinkle of confetti to your day.