Are you craving something hot, cheesy, delicious and vegan? Look no further than this awesome vegan quesadillas recipe! Even the pickiest eaters will enjoy this dish because of its customizable ingredients. Learn how to make quesadillas that are quick and delicious and get your food fix without all the hassle. This recipe will satisfy your craving whether you’re cooking a quesadilla for yourself or your family.
What is a Quesadilla?
A quesadilla is a tortilla-based dish typically loaded with cheese, beans, and various meats or vegetables, and then folded in half. It is usually offered as an appetizer or a main dish. To improve the flavor and texture, many recipes feature additional ingredients, such as salsa, guacamole, or jalapenos. There are countless variations of quesadillas across Mexico and the United States, ranging from simple to elaborate.
No matter which recipe is chosen, quesadillas offer a tasty and filling meal that will appeal to everyone.
Ingredients to Make This Vegan Quesadilla
- chickpea flour: a great source of protein
- arrowroot powder: you can substitute with organic corn starch or mung bean starch.
- black salt: also known as kala namak. It provides an eggy smell and can be found in most south east Asian stores. If you don’t have just replace with regular table salt.
- nutritional yeast: also known as nooch
- turmeric: will give the quesadilla a nice yellowy- golden color
- black pepper
- plant-based milk: use any plant-based milk that’s not too sweet
- vegetables: add any of your favorite vegetables
- dairy-free cheese: use grated vegan cheese
How To Make This Vegan Quesadilla
This recipe makes two quesadillas. So you will be cooking half of the ingredients each time.
First whisk your chickpea flour, arrowroot powder, turmeric, black salt, salt, black pepper, and nutritional yeast in a bowl. Add your milk and water and mix.
Next, prep your vegetables. Cut the tomato into slices. Cut the spring onion into slices. Dice the red pepper into cubes. Done.
If you want to use frozen vegetables, they work beautifully too! Just sauté in a pan to re-heat.
Once you’ve prepped your veggies, add oil to a pan. Add the tomatoes and cook on medium-high for one minute
Then add half of the chickpea mixture into the pan and immediately add half of all your vegetables on top.
Cover with the tortilla bread quickly and press down with a spatula. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
Now the fun bit! Grab a pan lid larger than your pan and place on top of your pan. Then flip the pan over firmly. Your quesadilla will now be on top of the lid. Gently slide it slowly back into the pan.
Add your vegan cheese on top and fold over quesadilla in half. Cook for 2-3 minutes both sides until nice and crispy.
Cut and serve!
Why I Love this Vegan Quesadilla
- It’s suitable for a vegan and vegetarian lifestyle or if you’re simply try to eat more plant-based.
- It’s fuss-free with just one pan and quick to make- 15 minutes and you’re done!
- It yields two quesadillas- perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner
- GET creative: You can customize by adding any vegetable combination you like including frozen vegetables
- You can make ahead and store in the fridge for breakfast the next morning (around 2-3 days)
Easy & Quick Vegan Quesadilla
- 3/4 cup chickpea flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder (or corn starch)
- 1/4 tsp black salt
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp tumeric
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1/4 cup plant-based milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 large tomato
- 1 spring onion
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1 handful fresh spinach
- 4 tbsp vegan cheese
- 2 tortillas
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Combine the chickpea flour with the arrowroot powder, turmeric, black salt, salt, black pepper, nutritional yeast. Add the milk and water and whisk. The texture should be easily spreadable in a pan like pancake batter. If it's too thick add one tablespoon of water at a time.
- Cut the tomato into slices. Cut the spring onion into slices. Dice the red pepper into small cubes. Use half for each quesadilla.
- Heat one tablespoon of vegetable oil into a non-stick pan on medium-high heat
- Once hot, add half of the tomato slices. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add half of the chickpea mixture into the pan then immediately add half of the spring onions, half of the red pepper and half of the fresh spinach. Cover with the tortilla bread quickly and press down the bread with a flipper so it sticks to the chickpea mixture below. (Note: if you wait too long the bread will not stick to the chickpea mixture). Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Wiggle your pan around to make sure your quesadilla is not stuck to the pan. Holding the pan handle in one hand and the cover lid in the other, flip the pan over (so the pan is on top of the lid). Your quesadilla will now be on top of the lid. Gently slide it slowly back into the pan with small short movements.
- Increase to high heat. Add half of your vegan cheese on top. Then inside your pan, fold over half of your quesadilla on top of the other half so you have a crescent. Cook for 2-3 minutes both sides until nice and crispy.
- Serve onto a plate and cut into 4 wedges.
- Don’t have arrowroot powder? Substitute with organic corn starch or mung bean starch.
- If you don’t have black salt use regular salt
Enjoyed this recipe? Pin it now and read it again later
Save or Share!
Latifah is a vegan foodie who loves travelling and cooking plant-based recipes. She loves sharing her favorite travel spots and adding a sprinkle of confetti to your day.